Archive

Monthly Archives: January 2017

Decatur Homes – Clairmont Heights Neighborhood

Renovated Decatur home with well-kept lawn and walkway

Decatur Homes - Clairmont Heights Area History

Clairmont Heights and the surrounding Decatur neighborhoods have an interesting history.  Clairmont Heights Civic Association put together an intriguing history of Decatur real estate in this area.  Clairmont Heights was developed after a lottery of Creek Indian lands in 1821 by the State of Georgia, when 202+ acres were transferred to individuals.  According to local historians ,by 1860, most of the land was owned by Ezekel Mason, an esteemed citizen of Decatur who died in 1879.  His widow then ran a profitable mill in the area called Mason's Mill.  Remnants of the Mill and the old Decatur Waterworks are still visible along the recently constructed pathways in the area and can also be accessed through several Decatur parks.

Original plats date from 1946 for the development of Clairmont  Heights and records show that the first areas developed were North Superior to Superior Place, Park Lane to Superior Place, Webster Drive to Clairmont Circle, and Clairmont Circle to Emory Woods.

A neighbor on Park Lane told me she was renting a home on North Decatur at the time they were developing the neighborhood and watched them build her home on Park Lane. She used to walk by the property every evening and imagine living there. She was so impressed with the quality of the homes that she talked her husband into purchasing one of the first homes built in the neighborhood!

Wikipedia indicates that the North Decatur area was originally developed as a suburban community to Atlanta.

While Clairmont Heights is no longer quite as suburban today with considerable ongoing commercial development in the area, the proximity to Emory University,  Atlanta midtown, Virginia Highlands, downtown Decatur events, shopping centers and a great school system, make the area a favorite for homeowners who want the convenience of in-town living and the hospitality of a friendly neighborhood.

Neighborhoods Near Emory University

Black and white dairy cows grazing in Leafmore area

Leafmore Hills/Vista Grove/Oak Grove - Part 1

 History of Decatur Real Estate Near Leafmore/Oak Grove

  • The current Leafmore/Oak Grove area of Dekalb County has changed a great deal since 1822, when real estate sold here for 10 cents an acre.  The following year, Decatur was named the County Seat and the area began developing. Leafmore Hills and the surrounding Oak Grove area was a rural farming community with few homes and no 4-lane highways.  Dairy farms dotted the landscape and Clairmont Road, now a major artery, was part of an Indian Trail. There were no shopping centers, grocery stores or restaurants - just small crop farms and cows!
  • An expanding population pushed Atlanta eastward towards Decatur, which was becoming a prestigious suburb by the early 1950's.  According to history compiled by the Leafmore Civic Association, there was a country store with a single gas pump, pot-bellied stove and rocking chair, located at North Druid Hills Road and LaVista Road.  Development of Leafmore Hills began in 1952 and filled the neighborhood with young families, all new to the area.  Leafmore became a close-knit community with an active Garden Club, Clubhouse and Pool.

Location of Leafmore/Oak Grove Area

  • Located just 7 miles from downtown Atlanta and less than 2 miles from the Clifton Corridor where Emory Hospital, Eggleston Children's Hospital, Center for Disease Control (CDC and Emory University are situated.  Leafmore is one of the most convenient subdivisions in DeKalb County.

Local Leafmore/Oak Grove Architecture

  • Most of the homes in the area are well-kept mid-century ranches with large manicured yards, as well as some newer construction properties with garages and more modern features.  Many of the original ranches, however, have been tastefully renovated and updated with new kitchens and baths.​

    Leafmore/Oak Grove Amenities

    • Less than a half mile from Leafmore, two churches anchor corners of North Druid Hills Road and Clairmont Road - Clairmont Baptist and Druid Hills Presbyterian. Just beyond the churches, Toco Hills Shopping Center contains a variety of shops and restaurants, including two major grocery chains.  Four Banks and four bagel places are located along this section of North Druid Hills Road as well.