You've made the decision to sell your Decatur or Emory Area home. Now it's time to take care of all those pesky household repairs - large and small. Many of us delay making necessary updates and repairs while we live in our homes.
When you decide to sell your home, a well-maintained attractive property will determine how fast your home sells and will impact your sales price as well. I'm talking about that missing door handle on the bedroom door, the chipped paint on the front door, and the overgrown yard that needs attention. You know.
- First, take a critical, objective look at your home and decide what projects need to be tackled before you put it on the market. Try to look at your home as a prospective buyer would.
- Check your curb appeal - a freshly painted front door with neatly trimmed shrubs and blooming flowers in pots will add appeal. Pay attention to the backyard as well as the front. Remember, you will never have another chance to make a "first impression".
- Painting - one of the least expensive ways to update a home is with fresh paint. Most experts recommend neutral colors for walls and trim, but there are exceptions.
- Declutter - while it's not necessary to remove every family photo, clear surfaces and a clean refrigerator door will help streamline the appeal of your home and helps buyers see themselves living in it.
- It may be advisable to rent a storage unit for large pieces of furniture that do not fit into smaller rooms. Setting the stage is important.
Polish and Clean - shine the windows, polish the lamps and silver. Bathrooms and kitchen should sparkle.
Repair/Replace/Update - replace missing trim, fix or replace any broken appliances, make sure everything is in working condition.
If you have questions about getting your home ready for sale, please don't hesitate to give us a call. We would be happy to walk through and give you an objective opinion of items that need attention.